Saturday, April 30, 2005

Belle Haven in the News

Recently we learned that the Belle Haven has been sold to Patrick Kelly, the developer of the Quay project that surrounds this historic building.

Mr. Kelly has promised that the Belle Haven will be preserved, although it may be necessary to move the building to accomodate the new site plan. We sure hope Mr. Kelly is a man of his word and this beautiful historic structure will be with us for a long time to come.

Recently a friend sent the following about her personal encounter with the Belle Haven:

In the late 70s I lived on the third floor of the Belle Haven. I saw the sun come up and the sun go down. There were palm trees that waved outside my windows. High ceilings, thick walls and windows everywhere meant no air conditioning was needed. The place was bathed in light. The narrow Pullman kitchen was behind stained glass windows. The bathtub had feet. I had many happy days there.

There's no way this building can be moved.

The Belle Haven and the Ringling Hotel were my notions of the templates Sarasota could have used as her "style".

Another bite out of our history, my history.

A sense of place exemplified. Almost makes me think I was there. If it remains with us, maybe we all will have a chance to have a personal encounter with the Belle Haven.

No comments: